The Ministry of the Environment, Nature Protection and Sustainable Development is placed under the authority of a Minister.
The Minister of the Environment, Nature Protection and Sustainable Development is responsible for the formulation and implementation of the Government’s policy on the environment and nature protection, with a view to sustainable development.
As such, he is responsible for:
- the definition of the methods and principles of rational and sustainable management of natural resources
- the definition of environmental management measures, in conjunction with the relevant ministries and specialized bodies ;
- the development of sectoral master plans for environmental protection, in conjunction with the ministerial departments concerned ;
- coordinating and monitoring the interventions of regional or international cooperation bodies in the field of environment and nature in conjunction with the Ministry of External Relations and the administrations concerned;
- monitoring environmental compliance in the implementation of major projects;informing the public with a view to encouraging their participation in management;
- the protection and restoration of the environment and nature; negotiating international conventions and agreements relating to the protection of the environment and nature and their implementation, in conjunction with the Ministry of External Relations.